About the Author
Larry Stanfel, a professor emeritus at the University of Alabama, earned his PhD from Northwestern University. Twice the winner of competitive postdoctoral fellowships for research abroad, he has been listed in Who’s Who in America and was selected for a number of honorary fraternities. He has worked frequently as a consultant to government and private businesses and has been an invited speaker around the world. Presently he and his artist wife, Jane, live on a small ranch, pictured below, in Montana.
Larry has published nearly 100 articles and poems, most of them peer-reviewed. Several of his stories have appeared in print or web journals, and his prize-winning fairy tale, “The Princess of Evighet,” was the libretto for a ballet of the same title staged by the Coastal Ballet Academy of Foley, Alabama in 2019. Under the title “Mice Christmas,” his English lyrics for the Norwegian Christmas song, “Musavisa” are registered with ASCAP. For a number of years he recited his original poems at the annual Montana Cowboy Poetry Gathering in Lewistown, MT and published them in periodicals.
- Optimization Techniques in Operations Research, with B.D. Sivazlian, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1975, 502 pp.
- Analysis of Systems in Operations Research, with B.D. Sivazlian, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1975, 532 pp.
- “A Recursive LaGrangian Method for Clustering Problems,” European J. of O.R., 27,3, 1986, 332-342
- “Applications of Clustering Theory to Cancer Mortality Data,” Computers and Biomedical Research, 19, 1986, 117-141
- “Mathematical Optimization and the Synchronizing Properties of Codes,” Information and Computation, 77,1, 1988, 57-76
“A New Approach to Clustering the Amino Acids,” Journal of Theoretical Biology, 183, 1996, 195-205
“Helen West Heller: a rediscovery,” Journal of the Mid America Print Council, 13,1,2005, pp. 4-7
- “Helen West Heller Viewed Through Her Work,” California Society of Printmakers News Brief, Fall, 2005, p. 7
- “The Poet of the Wood Engraving,” Journal of the Mid America Print Council, vol. 14, number 1, Spring/Summer 2006, pp. 15-21, 24
“The Life and Times of Helen West Heller,” Canton Area Communities Magazine, three installments, Part I, 3,1, January, 2008, 11-17, 19-25, 27; Part II, 3,2, Feb, 2008, 6-19; Part III, 3,3, March, 2008, 24-41
“The First of the Ten, The Last of the Ten: An Afternoon with Joseph Solman,” JMAPC, 16, 1, 2008, pp. 14-17.
“Looking for Roger Heller,” CACM, Part I. 3,6,2008, 1426; Part II, 3,7, 2008, 25-50
- “The World of Helen West Heller,” Illinois Heritage (Illinois State Historical Society), Jan-Feb, 2012, pp.13-18
“The People That Lived Here before Us: the ballad of a quarter-section,” Trader’s Dispatch, XII, no.1, Feb 2011, p. B32
“The Princess of Evighet,” co-winner December, 2013 prize at Enchanted Conversation, fairytalemagazine.com, post of 15 Jan 2014 AND basis for the ballet of the same title in several scenes, Coastal Ballet Academy, Meyer Center for the Performing Arts, Gulf Shores, AL, 17, 18 May 2019
“Pursuing a Shakespeare Mirage,” Hidalgo County Herald, Lordsburg, N.M., 6, 13, and 20 September 2019
“The Compressed Visions of Helen West Heller,” NAD Now ( online journal of the National Academy of Design) 12 April 2020